Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tiled, Not Grouted.

Not too long ago, I was in war with myself, to Bisazza or not to Bisazza my bathroom walls. Any design fanatic will tell you there is no mosaic in the world like Bisazza. To many, mosaics belong to the HDB floors of the 70s and 80s, others may even think of swimming pools. However, mosaics are making a come back. So many architects and interior designers have been specifying Bisazza in their designs, unfortunately a very large portion of these projects have been fulfilled with China "Bisazza" copies. The Chinese will do what they do best, imitate. Quality wise, they are still not on par. 

Anyway, we have shelved the Bisazza bathroom till we (hopefully) have our own house. Paying for a Bisazza clad bathroom in a HDB just doesn't make sense. 

The wet workers have tiled 80% of both the bathroom walls and the entire splash back for the kitchen walls. The grouting hasn't been done yet. When I got there, they were about done for the day and had notified my contractor that they will not be working tomorrow. My heart sank. Watching the apartment go through the facelift was like watching and episode of extreme makeover. You get sucked in and the hunger to see bigger changes becomes an obsession. If it were up to me, I would forfeit their trip back to Malaysia for the weekend. I would even go as far as to make them work day and night to satisfy my restlessness. Alas, they are not machines (although they do work at supersonic speed). One must not forget that the renovation work started less than a week ago and this is their 3rd day of work (2nd for the wet work folks).

Can't wait for Monday to come! September is looming and it's time to do some moving.
The master bathroom.
The kitchen.
A side view of the glass mosaics.
Front view of the kitchen splashback.
The common bathroom
Close up of the common bathroom mosaics.

No comments: