Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Caramel Au Beurre Salé (Salted Butter Caramel)

I'll admit right now that I have never been a fan of caramel. Icky-sweet, sticky caramel. Last Saturday, Sean and I came across a new creperie at Seah St, Entre Nous. I don't know what possessed me to try their butter caramel. After taking a bite out of their sweet crepe with butter caramel sauce, I was in a trance. It was as though I died and went to heaven.

I needed to replicate this food of the angels. I started craving for the buttery, velvety flavour straight after I was done with the dessert. The craving drove me mad, mad with a strange hunger for butter caramel. 

The next day, I decided I had to make my own. I did a little homework and decided that I was going to make a jar of salted butter caramel. It's not the easiest to make but with a little kitchen sensibility, good ingredients (the French always emphasize on quality) and technique, I was licking the back of a hot spoon coated with salted butter caramel in no time. This was even better than the day before's. I just had to make a batch of cupcakes with them. Sean thinks that they were the best.

I must emphasize that I am not into normal caramel but now I am obsessed about caramel au beurre salé.


The jar of Salted Butter Caramel and the cupcakes served with Griottines cherries. Delicious.


Another variation. Caramel cupcake with vanilla ice-cream, topped with more salted butter caramel and Griottines cherries.

No comments: