Saturday, December 19, 2009

Late Night Tales: Nouvelle Vague.

I've had this album for 2 years now and I absolutely adore it. I have around 400ish albums collected over time, this one was forgotten for a while until today when I decided to put my itunes on shuffle. One of the tracks, Phoenix by Cibelle came up and reminded me of how great the album is.

It is one of the most easy to listen to albums after a long day's work, late at night or even on a lazy day. There is a really strange sense of familiarity and alienism in the album. It settles you so comfortably with some old songs like 'And I love him' by Shirley Horn, 'Come on, Eileen' (has never sounded sexier than this cover by Nouvelle Vague), 'Lonely Girl' by Julie London, 'You are my thrill' by Peggy Lee and the very hauntingly beautiful, 'San Francisco is a lonely town' by Charlie Rich. These were thrown in the mix with the more modern pieces, 'Phoenix' by Cibelle, 'You and your sister' by Mortal Coil, 'Baby' by Os Mutantes and 'Girlfriend' by Special AKA. A standout album. Great for that depressingly grey day with a tinge of happiness that you seem to feel but can't grasp or understand.




1. Girlfriend - Special AKA
2. Come On Eileen - Nouvelle Vague
3. Baby - Os Mutantes
4. Unless - Pale Fountains
5. San Francisco Is A Lonely Town - Charlie Rich
6. Movement Of Fear - Tones On Tail
7. Chaos - Phoebe Killdeer
8. Urban Serenade - Avril
9. And I Love Him - Shirley Horn
10. Vespertine Park - Gavin Bryars
11. Fire In The Forest - David Sylvian
12. Freedom - Art Bears
13. You're My Thrill - Peggy Lee & Sy Oliver Orchestra
14. By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Glen Campbell
15. Le Poisson De Mers Du Sud - Isabelle Antena
16. Last Trick - Anja Garbarek
17. Nicole - Les Petroleuses
18. Phoenix - Cibelle
19. You And Your Sister - This Mortal Coil
20. Lonely Girl - Julie London
21. What I Ate - David Shrigley


No comments: